July, the opening of the railway to the Rochers-de-Naye.
11th February: the founding of the “Société Immobilière de Caux S.A,” with a capital of 2.5 million Swiss francs.
Spring, work starts on the new Caux-Palace
7th July: the official opening ceremony of the Caux-Palace, which becomes a world-famous resort almost instantly.
With the First World War, the hotel closes for five years.
A two-year renovation programme of the bedrooms and bathrooms is undertaken.
The value of the 200 franc shares drops to 40.- and become second-rank stock. Fresh capital of 3.4 million francs in 400 franc shares is raised.
A take-over of the hotel company falls through.
With the outbreak of the Second World War, the hotel closes again.
The Swiss government requisitions the building to house civilian refugees and then military internees.
From May to October, the building houses Italian refugees.
From October 1944 to July 1945, Jewish refugees are housed in Caux.
25th May: Robert Hahnloser and Philippe Mottu sign in the name of Moral Re-Armament a contract with the “Société Immobilière de Caux” for 1.05 million Swiss francs.
1st June: volunteers start to arrive for this new phase in the life of the former hotel.
The first important delegation of Germans takes part in the conferences.
450 Germans, including Konrad Adenauer and Hans Böckler take part. A group of 260, from 30 countries, goes to Germany from Caux – the largest civilian group to visit the country after the end of the war.
Visit of a delegation of 60 politicians and trade unionists from Japan, including the mayors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They go on to visit European capitals and the USA.
Robert Schuman, French Foreign Minister, visits Caux. Also the Moroccan leader Si Bekkai.
The dining room is redecorated. The Finnish painter Lennart Segerstråle paints a vast mural.
Archbishop Makarios, President of the newly independent Cyprus, sends the first flag to Caux “in gratitude”.
At the FAO in Rome, an international trade agreement on jute is signed, partly as a result of the work of French industrialist Robert Carmichael, a member of the Caux Foundation.
The visit to Caux of seven delegations from Alto Adige (South Tyrol) had an effect on the political situation in this Italian province.
The rooms of the back corridors, on three floors, are renovated.
Caux contributes towards work for peace and independence in former Rhodesia.
A first family conference is held in Caux.
The Genevese doctor and writer Paul Tournier speaks. His talk becomes the basis of his last book, ‘A Listening Ear’.
First annual meeting in Caux of business executives from Japan, the USA and Europe; the founding of the Caux Round Table.
Exiled Cambodians meet in Caux to search for the moral and spiritual foundations of a democracy.
World premier of Vladimir Volkov’s “Turn-around” in the Caux theatre.
The boiler for the central heating is changed.
An academic seminar on “The moral lessons of Soviet history”.
First visit by a delegation for the Chinese NGO CAFIU. Call in Caux by Professor Victor Weisskopf for “renewing the creation”.
The Caux Round Table launches its “Principles for Business”.
A delegation from Jamaica is brought by the Governor General.
The Swiss Hotel Management School SHMS begins renting the Caux Palace for its semesters.
The Queen of the New Zealand Maoris comes with Joan Bolger, the wife of the Prime Minister.
The Initiatives of Change International Association is founded, with its registered address in Caux.